A Brief Review of the Red Rock Ghillie Suit
If you are interested in buying a camouflage suit, the Red Rock ghillie suit is one of the most popular brands available in the market. Red Rock Outdoor Gear is based in Waco, Texas and is an industry leader in producing camouflage netting and ghillie suits. They also sell a variety of products that are designed to meet the needs of enthusiasts of outdoor activities.
These days, ghillie suits are no longer used just by the military applications but also by outdoor hobbyists. Many hunters use these camo suits when stalking their prey, although some states may require users to add a brightly colored vest to the outfit to avoid accidentally being shot by other hunters. Paintball and airsoft players, as well as military re-enactors, may also use ghillie suits. Nature photographers and videographers may also wear camo suits to avoid being seen by animals so that they can take videos or photos of them behaving naturally.
What is a Ghillie Suit?
It is a type of camouflage suit that is designed to help you blend with the background so that you are more difficult to detect. It works by covering an outer garment with loose strips of cloth or burlap that look like the foliage in the environment where it will be used. The outer garment is also designed to catch natural debris such as twigs and leaves when in use to provide further concealment.
Ghillie suits provide ‘three-dimensional’ concealment rather than the flat one of typical camouflage outfits. A person wearing an ordinary camouflage uniform looks flat against the environment. A ghillie suit provides depth to the outline of the person wearing it so that they blend better with the natural setting.
Scottish gamekeepers originally developed Ghillie suits to use as a portable blind when hunting, although the exact date is lost to history. The name ghillie was derived from the Gaelic word for servant, but the English term was used in reference to those assisting in deer stalking and hunting. Eventually, its use spread to the military and the Lovat Scouts, which were a Scottish Highland regiment, were the first to use it in battle during the Second Boer War (1899 – 1902).
Ghillie Suit Buyers Guide
How do you choose a ghillie suit that best meets your needs? Here are some of the things you should consider:
What is the reputation of the manufacturer? These days, because of the popularity of ghillie suits among mainstream buyers outside of the military, there are many companies making these camouflage outfits. But not all of them will provide high quality suits. So you have to choose which one you will buy from carefully.
Among the things to consider are:
- How long has the company been in business?
- What line of business are they in? They should specialize in making ghillie suits or in outdoor gear in the camouflage niche.
- How comprehensive is the listing for their products? The listing should at the minimum include what materials the suit is made from as well as color photos. You should have a good idea of what you are going to get if you should choose to purchase their suit.
- What claims do they make? If the listing includes statements such as “used by Navy Seals or special forces” or “designed by ex-special forces”, you should be wary. A high-quality ghillie suit will sell on its own merits and does not need extra hype.
- What do the reviews say? Read both positive and negative reviews to get an idea of the quality of the product, how satisfied buyers were with it and how the company responds to complaints.
Where will the ghillie suit be used and for what purpose? This will help you choose what options so that you can buy the suit that best blends into the environment in which it will be used.
If you are planning to use the suit for activities such as paintball or hunting, where you will be required to move around a lot, choose one that is made with synthetic materials such as nylon since it is lighter. If you are engaged in an activity where you will remain stationary for long periods of time, such as waiting for prey to emerge, consider natural materials such as jute.
However, you may want to consider a synthetic suit anyway, since it has many advantages. Aside from being lighter, it is also more durable and safer since it can be fire-retardant and water repellant. Keep in mind that when suits get wet, it can greatly add to their weight and make it more uncomfortable to wear.
What level of camouflage do you need? Think about how much of your body you need to conceal. If you will stay mostly stationary when wearing the suit, then an outfit that includes only the jacket may be enough for your needs. But if you will move around a lot, then you will need additional concealment and you should choose a suit that also includes pants.
In addition, if you are carrying a firearm that needs to be concealed, the outfit should also come with a gun bag or wrap. This is like a ghillie suit for the firearm that breaks up its straight lines and prevents them from being detected.
How much does the suit weigh? The majority of ghillie suits sold weigh around five pounds. While this does not sound like much, when you walk around wearing the suit, it can be tiring after a while. Another consideration is how far you have to walk to get to the place where you will use the suit. Even though these suits are designed to be light and easy to wear, you still don’t want to walk long distances while wearing it.
How easy is the suit to put on? The ghillie suit should be made with fastenings that are easy to close so that you won’t waste a lot of time putting it on. It should also be adjustable so that it is more comfortable to wear and less constricting. The best suits provide you with easy access to the clothing you wear underneath, which makes layering possible.
How much does it cost? A good quality ghillie suit can be bought for a competitive price that is not too prohibitive. If a suit is too cheap, then it may not provide the required level of concealment or wear out easily.
An Overview of Red Rock Ghillie Suit Models
To help you choose the right ghillie suit, here is a short breakdown of the different models available on Amazon.
This is the basic ghillie suit the company sells and is made of 98% polyester with 2% spandex.
- Outfit consists of jacket, pants and hood.
- Also comes with a gun wrap for keeping your firearm concealed and a stuff sack for storing the outfit when not in use.
- Comes with four color options including desert, woodland, snow and ACU camouflage.
- Available in various sizes ranging from Medium to 2X large.
Best environments to use in: It depends on which color you choose. You can choose a color scheme specifically designed for a particular environment. You can use it as a snow ghillie suit if you choose the snow color scheme, for instance. Alternately, you can choose ACU or Army Combat Uniform, which is a universal camo pattern designed to blend in to urban, desert and woodland environments.
Designed for younger users, it is also made with 98% polyester and 2% spandex.
- Outfit consists of jacket, pants and hood.
- Also comes with a stuff sack for storing the outfit and a gun wrap for keeping your firearm concealed.
- Available in desert and woodland camouflage.
- Sizes offered for age ranges 10 to 12 with
Best environments to use it in: If you choose the desert color scheme, you can use it as a desert ghillie suit. But it is probably best used in forested environments since it has a woodland color scheme.
This camo suit is designed for buyers on a budget since it only includes the jacket. But it will still provide you with the camouflage that you need when hunting or doing other outdoor pursuits.
- Outfit includes jacket with hood.
- Also comes with a stuff sack with shoulder strap for storing the jacket when not in use.
- Jacket features elastic waist and cuff to ensure snug fit.
- Hood features adjustable chin strap.
- Jacket has easy-snap closure.
- Available in woodland and desert camo patterns
- Sizes range from X and 2X large and Medium-Large.
Best environment to use it in: woodland or desert.
This Red Rock ghillie suit is specifically designed for big game hunters since it provides better concealment. The exterior ghillie is cut so that it looks like leaf patter which not only mimics forest foliage but also more effectively breaks up your outline. It is also more comfortable to wear since it is more lightweight and breathable than Red Rock’s traditional suits.
- Outfit includes jacket with hood and pants.
- The exterior features 3D leaf cut design.
- Available in Mossy Oak Breakup or Backwoods color schemes.
- Pants feature elastic waist with drawstring to ensure snug fit.
- Hood features built-in drawstring for better concealment.
- Comes with gun wrap that fits all standard firearms.
- Comes with stuff sack for storing outfit and gun wrap.
Best environment to use it in: forest and woodland areas where hunting is done.
Red Rock Ghillie Suits Pros and Cons:
- Affordable price compared with competing camo suits.
- Exterior features more ghillie strands to provide better camouflage by breaking up your outline. The strands also pick up more natural debris when in use to ensure even greater concealment.
- Designed to be easy to wear over clothing, making it perfect for layering.
- Outfit is easy to adjust for a comfortable fit.
- Hood is designed to provide total concealment by covering the whole head and neck.
- Pants feature snap closures to cover boots.
- Some users have complained about the quality of the suit.
- It may be difficult to untangle the suit when it first comes out of the box.
If you are in the market for an affordable camouflage suit, the Red Rock ghille suit is a good choice. It is affordable and versatile enough to be used in a variety of settings. Most models also provide you with a range of color options so that you can choose the one that works best in the environment where it will be used. Although it may not be top-of-the-line and of professional quality comparable to more high-end models, it is satisfactory enough for most common outdoor uses, such as hunting and nature photography.